Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Idealism: Out. Optimism Tinged with Realism: In.

What an idealist I was at the age of 13. I remember telling Tara Taylor that I was going to have 10 kids (and all kinds of other VERY ambitious things that I am sure I will not accomplish). She replied by stating that I would be pregnant for 8 years. I was sure that I wold love the pregnant state of being and therefore, no problem! I was going to be a baby factory! How naive I was. On so many levels. Don't mistake me, I think my 3 are great, and I look forward to the girl child coming to our family in April, as well as any others that may like to come after an extended period of time. I just don't see 1) me mothering 10, or having 10 c-sections, and 2) me being sane and kind and domestic about it all. I truly admire such women! That being said, I have had the pleasure and misfortune of having 3 soon to be 4 children without a labor pain. I didn't opt for it to be this way, but finding the perks in an undesirable situation is good, right? C-sections work for me (and I will thank a very distant ancestor of an ancestor, Ephraim McDowell, for performing the first successful abdominal surgery in 1809).

Back to being an idealist! I am sure many can relate to making a to do list with 600 things for the morning alone. For a while, I was really good at making REASONABLE lists. Unfortunately, I got doused with that super human feeling that I could accomplish it all and made myself some pretty ambitious goals for the week. Lucky for me, I caught whatever my kid brought home from the nursery on Sunday, and had a great excuse for not getting it all done. Which I am sure I totally would have otherwise (wink wink).

In my attempt to ditch this former line of thinking, I present the aforementioned Optimism Tinged with Reality. Clever? I know. I stole that from the dictionary. I have tried to set reasonable goals for the year (do more family history, have the guts to take Jacob's pacifier away, be an 8 cow wife, etc), and feel that I can accomplish them with great effort along with great help (having 10 children, NOT being one of them).

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Hey I remember you saying the same thing in COLLEGE. I don't think it was just a 13-year old's dream! Remember how you used to make tons of chicken n dumplings and tell us you were practicing for when you had 10 kids??

This Idaho Girl said...

Yeah, I used to want 6 kids. That was before I discovered my fertility woes and before I actually had kids and realized how hard it is to be a mother. Ha. As for getting rid of the paci-- the girls are now 2-1/2 and still sucking away.